- 300g flour
- 200g butter
- 100g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix the egg, vanilla and sugar in a large bowl.
- Gradually add the softened butter, followed by the f
- Knead by hand until the dough is smooth and forms a ball.
- Put the dough in an airtight container and place in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Roll out the dough to about 2mm thickness.
- Cut out shapes using cookie cutters and place them on a baking tray lined with non-stick parchment.
- Form the remaining dough into a ball and place back in the fridge.
- Optionally brush the cookies with milk and/or egg yolk and sprinkle with hundreds-and-thousands.
- Bake for about 7-8 minutes, until the first cookies brown ever so slightly.
– Make sure not to overcook the cookies – when they are browned they tend to be too hard.
– The dough can be kept in the fridge for 2-3 days.
– Using 2 egg yolks works fine as a substitute for the whole egg.
– Why not try making Jammy Dodgers by cutting out two circular cookies, spreading 1/2 tsp of jam on the centre of the first, cutting a hole in the centre of the second (using a small cookie cutter) and placing it on top of the first.
– You can keep the cookies fresh in a cookie jar for several weeks.