We love woodchip! 2016 has seen a few experiments on the farm with woodchip- our new mulching material thanks to a local tree surgeon. You know I love a good mulch right. Lots of benefits of mulch- the ones I’m interested in are keeping down weeds and keeping in moisture. We’ve tried mulching the polytunnel paths this year with cardboard or old potato bags laid down first, then covered with woodchips that are quite fresh, i.e....
Carrot top pesto pasta with roasted carrots From: Helen- sorry I don’t measure anything Prep Time: 20 Mins Cooking Time: 20 Mins Total Time: 30 Mins Yields: Enough for four peeps Ingredients:
- Big bunch of carrots with tops on
- Few handfuls pine nuts, cashews, whichever nuts ya fancy or have in the cupboard
- Olive oil
- Cooked pasta to serve
- Food processor makes this a breeze
- Top the carrots and give em a scrub.
Superfood nettles From: Helen Prep Time: 30 Mins Cooking Time: 15 Mins Total Time: 45 Mins Ingredients:
- Big carrier bag full of nettle tips
- 2 cloves garlic
- Splash of olive oil
- Salt n Pepa
- Ok so they are not strictly a crop here at CropShare but we got enough of em! Nows a grand time to pick the new growth of nettles and enjoy the superfood nutrients. They reduce quite a bit when cooked, so go get your gloves...
We blasted it on saturday and had a right seed sowing session – sowed out literally thousands of leek, calendula and cornflower, seed into module trays. Boom! We also pricked out small lettuce, tomato and pepper seedlings into module trays. The module trays will be grown on outside covered with fleece or in the polytunnels and will be either planted out in the field with the planter or into the polytunnels in the case...
Bebe’s Borscht From: Helen Prep Time: 20 Mins Cooking Time: 20 Mins Yields: Enough for five people Ingredients:
- About 8 medium sized beetroot
- Couple of potatoes
- Veggie stock
- Black pepper
- To serve: finely chopped onion, yogurt, fresh herbs such as dill, parsley.
- Chop up the beetroot and potato into small chunks and boil under tender
- Blend up with the veggie stock and dill
- Add black pepper to taste
- Serve with a blob of yogurt and fresh herbs if youve got some
Come and join us on our launch night on Tues Feb 23rd 8pm Cb2 Bistro, Norfolk Street Cambridge, CB1 2LD. An opportunity for new and returning volunteers to mingle and get more info about what we are going to be up to on the farm this season, including our new grain growing and seed saving projects. Come and find out more and speak to Farmer Paul and the CropShare Crew!...
Here’s when you can join in the fun on the farm this year 2016! All farm days are Saturdays. Dates are subject to change in the case of really bad weather. To book a place on a farm day click on Sign-up sheet in the menu, or click here. 2016 Farm Dates
- 12 March
- 19 March
- 2 April
- 23 April
- 30 April
- 14 May
- 28 May
- 4 June
- 18 June
- 25 June
- 9 July
- 16 July
- 30 July
Chard Filo Layer Pie From: Helen Prep Time: 45 Mins Cooking Time: 25 Mins Total Time: 1 Hours 10 Mins Yields: One big pie Ingredients:
- Sheets filo pastry (I used bought frozen pastry sheets)
- About 3 large bags of chard (use loads it cooks down to a really small amount)
- 3 Onions
- Block of firm tofu
- Lemon juice
- Dried dill
- Sesame seeds
- Chop and fry onions in a little oil until soft, put to one side
- Chop up chard into quite small bits and steam...
29th August Farm Day Well its the last farm day of the summer, but less of that “where has summer gone” attitude and more about the veg… Today it was high time to give the cabbages and leeks a weed. Both crops were definately still there, it’s just that the weeds were definately there as well. But not for long! We do complain about weeds on here, I mean come on, on this rich fen soil the...
Purple coleslaw From: Helen Prep Time: 20 Hours 0 Mins Total Time: 20 Hours 0 Mins Yields: Big bowlful to share Ingredients:
- 1/2 Red cabbage
- 2 raw beetroots
- Mayonaise of choice
- Herbs to garnish
- Grate half of the cabbage, and chop up roughly the other half.
- Grate the beetroot up.
- Mix em both together and coat with mayonaise. I am a massive vegan so made this mayonaise http://peanutbutterandvegan.com/april-all-natural-day-5/ (Clever recipe- made out of oil and water from a tin of chickpeas- honest!)