Excited for the new season of volunteering on the farm? Please use the sign up sheet here to register for upcoming farm volunteer days and we’ll look forward to welcoming you on the farm! Plenty of sowing to come, followed by planting, weeding and harvesting throughout the season. See you soon!...
The first-ever national CSA Sign Up Day in the UK is on Wednesday 1 March 2017. Community Supported Agriculture is a way of farming where people in the community sign up to receive a regular share of sustainable, local produce. For us at Cambridge CropShare this means a seasonal share in the Waterland Organics veg and fruit harvest, and much more besides – experience growing a range of field and polytunnel crops on a...
CropShare volunteer Reggie has designed a bespoke lay down weeder for the farm, a human-powered version of the lay down weeder that some of you may have had a spin on in the past. Reggie is planning to raise enough funds (£450) to build the weeder so we can have it in action on the fields this growing season! This will be a brilliant piece of kit for the volunteers to use to weed...
big Thank You to Sophie & Julien for this recipe using our Crown Prince squash!...
Spiced pumpkin pie From: Helen Prep Time: 20 Mins Cooking Time: 20 Mins Total Time: 30 Mins Ingredients:
- Sorry I dont measure anything but you are all clever and can work it out and yours will prob turn out even better than my pie! – Helen)
- Shortcrust Pastry to cover pie dish of your choice
- Pumpkin scrapings from carving, about 4 cups full
- About 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinches of mixed spice, cinnamon and allspice powder
- White and black sesame...
BeBe’s Gazpacho From: My housemate BeBe 🙂 Prep Time: 1 Hours 30 Mins Cooking Time: 20 Mins Total Time: 1 Hours 30 Mins Yields: Enough for 4 bowls Ingredients:
- 2 ridge cucumbers
- 10 or so large tomatoes
- Few cloves garlic
- Mint leaves
- Splash olive oil
- Salt n Pepper
- Using a blender makes it easy as.
- Roast the tomatoes in the oven until soft and peel off the skins – normally I wouldn’t recommend to do this fussy step but its easy and makes a...
We’re near to harvest of our grain crops on the farm at the mo. Farmer Paul sowed a selection of grains last autumn that we are planning to harvest by hand. Here’s what we got: Were most excited about growing Old Burwell – an old and rare variety of wheat sourced from Brockwell Bake and being bulked as part of the British Isles Community Grain Association. As we are only a few miles from Burwell itself it should...
We love woodchip! 2016 has seen a few experiments on the farm with woodchip- our new mulching material thanks to a local tree surgeon. You know I love a good mulch right. Lots of benefits of mulch- the ones I’m interested in are keeping down weeds and keeping in moisture. We’ve tried mulching the polytunnel paths this year with cardboard or old potato bags laid down first, then covered with woodchips that are quite fresh, i.e....
Carrot top pesto pasta with roasted carrots From: Helen- sorry I don’t measure anything Prep Time: 20 Mins Cooking Time: 20 Mins Total Time: 30 Mins Yields: Enough for four peeps Ingredients:
- Big bunch of carrots with tops on
- Few handfuls pine nuts, cashews, whichever nuts ya fancy or have in the cupboard
- Olive oil
- Cooked pasta to serve
- Food processor makes this a breeze
- Top the carrots and give em a scrub.
Superfood nettles From: Helen Prep Time: 30 Mins Cooking Time: 15 Mins Total Time: 45 Mins Ingredients:
- Big carrier bag full of nettle tips
- 2 cloves garlic
- Splash of olive oil
- Salt n Pepa
- Ok so they are not strictly a crop here at CropShare but we got enough of em! Nows a grand time to pick the new growth of nettles and enjoy the superfood nutrients. They reduce quite a bit when cooked, so go get your gloves...