Guest recipe: French "mesturets" (pumpkin fritters)
- 500g pumpkin/squash, pureed
- 1 flax or chia egg- To make this, combine 1 tbsp flax or chia seeds with 3 tbsp of water. Let sit in the fridge for 30 mins to soak up the water and then add to recipe. Or sub in a chickens egg
- 100g flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange or 1.5 tsp orange blossom water
- Oil or butter, to fry
- Serving suggestions: coconut or dairy whipped cream and maple syrup/sweetener. To make whipped coconut cream, place a can of full fat coconut milk in the fridge for at least 8 hours. The coconut cream should separate from the coconut water. After refrigerating, gently turn the can upside down and open, being careful not to shake the can so that the two parts mix. Pour out the coconut water and reserve it. It's delicious added to smoothies, porridge, curries...or even on its own. Whip up the coconut cream with 1 tsp. vanilla extract & enjoy!
- Roast and puree the pumpkin/squash
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl
- Shape into small fritters and fry on medium heat for around 2 minutes on each side
- Top with cream and maple syrup and enjoy!