Vegan Rhubarb and Custard Cake
- 300g flour
- 150g sugar
- 50g ground almonds or hazelnuts
- 3tsp baking powder
- 2tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 350ml almond milk
- 50ml oil
- 1kg rhubarb
- 125g sugar
- peel of 1 lemon
- 30g cornstarch
- 500ml almond milk
- 70g sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- grease an 11 inch spring form and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- in a large bowl mix all dry ingredients.
- mix the oil and almond milk and whisk into the dry ingredients until creamy.
- scoop the mix into the spring form and bake for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- in the meantime, peel the rhubarb and cut into 2-3cm pieces.
- place the rhubarb in a saucepan, add the sugar and lemon peel and cook for about 10-15 minutes - the pieces should be soft, but not fall apart.
- while the rhubarb is cooking, measure 500 ml almond milk and bring to the boil, leaving about 3 tbsp in the measuring jug.
- add the sugar, vanilla extract and cornstarch and mix well.
- once the milk is boiling, take off the heat, stir in the contents of the jug, and briefly bring back to boil, stirring constantly.
- pour the custard over the cooled cake (while still inside the springform).
- drain the excess liquid from the rhubarb and spread the pieces on top of the custard.