Vegan Apple Strudel
- 200g wholemeal white flour
- 100g wholemeal einkorn or spelt flour
- 1/4 tsp (2g) salt
- 150ml hand-warm water
- 2tbsp (10g) oil
- 1 tsp (2g) cider vinegar
- 100g raisins
- 100ml orange juice
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 3tbsp (60g) margarine
- 1.5kg apples
- 50g sugar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- pinch nutmeg
- 100g raisins, soaked in rum or apple juice overnight.
- 150g walnuts, finely chopped
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 100g margarine
- 500ml hazelnut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 20g cornstarch
- 30g sugar
- Sift and mix the two types of flour and the salt in a large bowl.
- Gradually add the vinegar, water and oil.
- Knead for about 5 minutes until you get an elastic but not sticky dough (depending on the type of flour used you may have to add a little extra flour if too sticky, or oil if too dry).
- Place the dough inside a plastic container in the fridge for at least 1/2 hour.
- In the meantime, peel (optional) and core the apples and cut into small cubes.
- Place the apples in a large saucepan, add the sugar, lemon juice and zest, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg and mix well.
- Heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally - the apples should stay fairly firm.
- Melt the margarine and set aside.
- Split the dough in half and roll out on a lightly floured board to about 8 inches by 12 inches.
- Lightly flour a clean smooth towel and roll out the dough on it until it is wafer thin (it should have about doubled in size).
- Brush the dough with molten margarine and sprinkle over the breadcrumbs, followed by the walnuts, leaving a 2 inch edge on all sides.
- Evenly spread the apples and raisins over the nuts.
- Fold over the short edges and, using the towel, roll up the strudel (similar to a roulade).
- Carefully place the strudel seam down onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat with the second strudel.
- Brush the strudels with the remaining margarine and bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for about 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Mix 3 tsp of milk with the sugar, vanilla and cornstarch (it's easiest to start with the dry ingredients first)
- Heat the remaining milk until boiling, take off the hob and add the cornstarch mix.
- Put the custard back on the hob at low to medium heat and return to the boil for about 1/2 minute, stirring constantly.
- Sprinkle the Apple Strudel with icing sugar and serve with the custard.
- It's best when still slightly warm, but is also nice cold.