Carrot, Courgette and Apple Cake
- 3 eggs
- 100ml agave syrup
- 1 courgette (250g), grated
- 250g carrots, grated
- 3 tbsp oil
- one 1 cm cubed piece (10g) of fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 unwaxed lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 250g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 40g powdered sugar
- 3-4 apples (500g)
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees / gas mark 4.
- Sit the grated courgette in a bowl for about 10 minutes, then strain it, using a cheesecloth or similar.
- Separate the eggs and whisk the yolks in a large bowl.
- Gradually add agave syrup, carrots, courgette, oil, ginger, lemon and vanilla essence.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and soda and gradually add to the mix.
- Chop the apples into small cubes and fold into the dough.
- Pour the mixed into a greased 11 inch springform and put into the oven for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime whisk the egg white until stiff, sifting in the powdered sugar and cinnamon.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and carefully spread the icing onto the cake, using a silicone spatula.
- Place the cake back into the oven and bake for a further 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.